“How do bedwetting alarms work?”. This is a question which regularly pops up for families looking to permanently overcome the problem, especially when natural bedwetting solutions are preferred.
Bedwetting Alarms function when the child starts to wet so they wake up and use the bathroom. This process teaches the brain to respond to a full bladder, even during deep sleep, so that bedwetting becomes less frequent. It requires a conscious effort by the child to switch off the alarm rather than ignore it. With consistent use most achieve achieve permanent night time dryness within 3 months.
Night Time Dryness is best achieved when parents and children work together
Dr H Malem, PhD, the creator of Malem Alarms, has established a number of Golden Rules for success:
- the child is 100% motivated and wants to be dry
- the child understands that waking up to the alarm as soon as it sounds is
- the treatment the child should drink as much as he/she likes
- parents should not take a sleeping child to the bathroom to empty their bladder
- no nappies or pull-ups should be used
- parents must praise and support the child
Considering using an alarm for the first time? Read more about when it’s the best time to use an alarm.